History & Landscape
Sunnybank was built in about 1850 and became the home and practice of Dr Edward Trotter in 1856. Edward had 2 sons, Charles and Robert. The eldest, Charles, took over the practice and ran it until his retirement in 1947 aged 70. He was also the first car owner in Holmfirth, which made home visits much quicker!
Charles’ brother, Robert Trotter, was also a medical practitioner and surgeon. Both brothers had much to do with the founding of the Holme Valley Memorial Hospital, initially aiding and nursing First World War victims suffering from shell shock. Robert laid the foundation stone for the hospital and carried on his practice from Sunnybank.
Sunnybank retains most of its original features, including a dispensing room and servants’ bells (still operational!) in the Guest Lounge and Dining Room.
Set in typical Victorian gardens with beautiful views across the Holme Valley, Sunnybank is within 10 minutes downhill walking distance to Holmfirth centre – perhaps a little longer on the return uphill journey!
There is ample, free parking within the grounds.